Sat 24
1st XV
D Harvey
Kendal's Defence Holds Out

Kendal's Defence Holds Out

By Andrew Broadbent
Share via

A tight game results in another disappointing away outcome for Wirral.

From Wirral’s perspective the game was marred by an injury to JAMES ANNETTS in the 10th minute where he suffered an ankle/leg injury and was taken to Wallasey hospital for an x ray. This disrupted the backs line up in what proved to be a tight game.
There were only 2 changes from last week’s game with MATT LOON and JAMES REEVE not being available and were replaced by BEN BROOKS and TOM PARRY ( returning from injury) with the subs remaining the same.
The first 15 minutes saw Wirral contained in their half with the home side making a number half breaks down the right wing and it was apparent at this stage that Wirral were having a tendency to lose the ball in the tackle/dropping passes. In the 10th minute, JAMES went down in a tackle and there was a delay whilst he was seen to by Chris M. JAMES ADAMS came on in his place with DAN HARVEY moving to fly half and MARK WILLIAMS to full back.
At this stage Kendal had the territorial advantage but the Wirral defence held out and it was not until the 15th minute that a TOM PARRY break took play into the Kendal half but back came Kendal and were denied a try when the referee ruled a forward pass. CHRIS CROWLEY made a break and pass over the Kendal defence was knocked on/attempted interception by Kendal so Wirral opted for a 5m line out as Wirral built pressure with further half breaks by BEN BROOKS but it all came to nought. On 28 minutes a chip over the Kendal defence by CHRIS CROWLEY where he almost caught his own kick and if done so would have possibly scored.
On 38 minutes, Kendal were awarded a penalty some 22m out and 8m in from touch was converted by Chris Park, the veteran Kendal full back. Back came Wirral with a concentrated attack and Kendal pinned on their line, several determined thrusts were contained with JACK YARKER held up a few inches short and a further YARKER/HIGGINSON thrust was stopped with Kendal relieved to steal the ball and clear to touch and hear the half time whistle. 3-0
The early part of the second half was played between the 20m areas with Kendal looking to kick downfield and then Wirral working their way back up but too many times the ball was lost in tackle/dropped and greater control was required. On 55 minutes with Kendal on the Wirral line they could not break through until the ball was spun left quickly and the winger, Myles Harrop had the easy task of a 5m run to score in the corner, the conversion was missed, 8-0. MIKE WARREN came on for PAUL LEWIS. Wirral fully aware that two scores were required took the opportunity to get on the score card with a well taken penalty by DAN HARVEY on 63 minutes.
Wirral continued to press and brought DAN LIGHT on for JACK YARKER. In the latter stages of the game it was apparent that the Wirral pack had the upper hand on the Kendal 8 and was seen to be pushing them back. In the Kendal 20m the home pack were going back only for the referee to reset 3 times on the last occasion with Wirral advancing a penalty was awarded to Kendal. It turns out that the referee said that one of the Wirral props was destabilising the scrum as Kendal fought not to give ground (I thought that was the whole purpose of the scrum). The game ended with Wirral again camped in the Kendal 20m area but not able to control the ball for sufficient phases to get that all important tries.
Players and coach were frustrated at the performance and not to come away with all 4/5 points. Next week the team are at home against Kirkby Lonsdale, kick off 2.15.

Richard McNeil

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 24, Nov 2018




North Premier

League position